Thursday, August 20, 2009

I am ... overwhelmed.

Day two of the new adventures of J. Michael Down Under. I once avowed never to do another production contract, and these rehearsals are reminding me why I made that promise to myself. Could they jack up the keys to any songs any higher? Holy cowabunga, man. I am singing in the stratosphere, it seems, using every available note in my range, and thankfully, I at least have most of them. But... on a good note, it is stretching me to the limits of everything I know and hold dear and sacred.

Rehearsed the past two days without the help of a music director, which was rather really kind of annoying and frustrating, as we have been put into one show already, and no vocal rehearsal. How does that work, exactly? Who knows. Apparently, it does here with PGT Ent. Anyhow, Dan was kind enough to work on some of the music and notes for Shimmy! with us, and I am feeling less stressed out about the whole ordeal. I just wish there was some remote part of me that was African-American, so that my "soul" didn't sound so "white bread" (Lomarev, that's for you, sweetie!) She would get such a kick out of listening to me try to belt out Ray Charles and Ike and Tina Turner. Not sure yet if I want any of the family coming to see me on the ship, as this is really freaking me the hell out. My memory is not working the way I would like it to, and I am irritated enough at myself for not doing more of the homework I was supposed to.

I feel like Liza Doolittle... "Words, words, words, I'm so sick of words..."

I miss the kids at Wakefield. I miss my cats. I miss Peggy, Michael, Mom and Dad, Amy and Gaby and Bill and Bella, Kim and all my other buddies. I miss being able to get in my car and drive somewhere, even if it is just to go around the block. I wish i had had more time here, like I had requested. But... since things are not ideal in my little world, I must deal with the things as they are. I will be fine, just allow me this first of many freak outs, ok?

The Brits make me laugh. They are all outside watching the heat lightning in the distance, ooh-ing and aah-ing. "We don't get this in England" they say. "It never gets hot enough for heat lightning." Uh huh. You go, Brits.

Tonight I made a real nice pasta and fresh shrimp, and though I forgot to buy garlic and any kind of seasoning, it turned out pretty edible-ly. Maybe tomorrow when we get paid and go on our weekly grocery run I will get some of the other things like salt, to spice up the foodage situation. We'll see.

Rehearsal is from 3-9 tomorrow, which will be the rest of Extreme Country, as well as a put in rehearsal for Shimmy! which will be interesting. I have tons of homework tonight, before I go to bed, as I have a rehearsal with the music director tomorrow from 3-6. I have no idea what he is going to want to hear, so I have to be prepared to sing all 6 shows. RIGHT! Wow. The stress level is rising. Hope I can keep it all together.

Skyped with peggy tonight when I got home, and I am getting ready to do it again before i head to bed with my headphones in to absorb some of the words I have to sing... Good night, all... please keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I need them. Lots. Tons, even. Majorly amounts of them. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment